Login or create an ID account at https://unemployment.labor.ny.gov/login and simply follow the instructions to file a claim.
If you have never filed a claim for benefits in New York State, all you have to do is create a Personal Identification Number (PIN). This is a four-digit number that must be kept confidential. This PIN will be used to access the system to certify weekly benefits and update your account.
Documents to Apply for the PUA
- Your social security number
- Your driver’s license or motor vehicle identification card number (if you have one)
- Your full address and zip code
- A phone number where we can reach you from 8 to 17, Monday to Friday.
- Your alien registration card number (if you are not a U.S. citizen and have a card)
- Names and addresses of all your employers from the last 18 months, including those in other states.
- Employer registration number or Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) of your most recent employer (FEIN is on your W-2 forms)
- Your copies of forms SF8 and SF50, if you are a federal employee
- Your most recent separation form (DD 214), for military service
Filing the Claim without the Documents?
You can file a claim without all of these documents. However, this may cause a delay in your first payment.
If you cannot print the web pages, have a pen and paper to copy the information.
If you choose direct deposit of your weekly benefits, you will need the bank routing and checking account numbers.
How to File a Claim for PUA
It’s a simple process, just follow our steps and you’ll have it. On the official website of the labor department: https://dol.ny.gov/. In the section “Unemploymente Insurance”, choose the option “PUA”:
Once you are in this section, choose the option “File”:
When you press “File” you enter with your user credentials and password. It would only be a matter of following the steps you are given and that’s it.