Menu Close

The two alternatives available for claiming stimulus checks that you have not yet received

The two alternatives available for claiming stimulus checks that you have not yet received

A “payment tracking” is one of the tools available to taxpayers.

Americans who have not received the money due to them from stimulus checks currently have two options for requesting payment or payments due from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

The alternative already available to some is called “payment tracking” or “payment tracing” in cases where the stimulus check has already been mailed, but never arrived at its destination, either because it was lost in the mail or the recipient inadvertently threw it away.

The online service from the website allows the user to view the date the check was processed and whether it was by direct deposit or mail.

Specifically, the IRS reported that individuals should opt for a “follow-up payment” in the following cases:

1. if five days have passed since the date of the direct deposit in Get My Payment and the bank tells the recipient that they have not received the transfer.
2. If the system shows that four weeks have passed since the check was mailed and you have not received it.
3. If the system shows that it has been six weeks since the check was mailed and you had provided a forwarding address to your local post office.
4. If the system shows that nine weeks have passed since the check was mailed and your address is an overseas address.

The second scenario in which the payee must file is if he/she received a 1444 notice letter from the IRS confirming that the payment was mailed.

This notice usually arrives in the mail two weeks after the IRS mails the payment.

To request the Payment Trace, you can call the IRS at 800-919-9835, or send an email or fax that includes the Taxpayer Statement Regarding Refund Form 3911.

“Refund Recovery Credit.”

The second option for those who do not receive the payments or part of the payments is the so-called “Refund Recovery Credit” on the next tax return.

This credit will increase the amount of refund money depending on how much stimulus money the IRS owes the taxpayer.

Eligible individuals who did not receive the full amount of economic impact payments may claim the “Refund Recovery Credit” on a 2020 Form 1040 or Form 1040-SR. As part of the process, you will need to complete the Refund Recovery Credit Worksheet in the Form 1040 and Form 1040-SR instructions.

It is important for filers to include as part of the tax information the 1444 notice if received.

This year’s tax filing season will begin on February 12.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *