Applying for unemployment benefits online is much faster than applying by phone, according to state officials. According to recent figures, waiting times average 13 minutes to apply online and more than 45 minutes to apply by phone.
Thousands of people in the restaurant industry are now applying for benefits after Ohio Governor Mike DeWine issued an order to effectively shut down all restaurant and bar food services throughout Buckeye State.
“People who are being sent home by their employer because of an illness or medical quarantine or if their business temporarily closes are eligible for unemployment under the executive order,” said Lt.
In the last three days, the state of Ohio has received 78,000 claims, representing an increase of more than 25 percent from the same period last week.
To apply for unemployment benefits in Ohio
Present online at: unemployment.ohio.gov 24/7
Call 1-877-644-6562 or 614-387-8408 Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Documents and requirements
- Social Security Number
- Driver’s license or state identification number
- Your name, address, telephone number and e-mail address.
- Name, address, telephone number, and dates of employment with each employer for the last 6 weeks of employment.
- Reason for unemployment for each employer
- Names of dependents, Social Security numbers and dates of birth
- If claiming dependents, your spouse’s name, Social Security number, and date of birth
- If a U.S. citizen or national, Alien Registration Number and expiration date
- Your usual occupation and job skills
For more information, contact unemployment.ohio.gov.